Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Is Armaggedon Imminent?

Is Armageddon imminent? A strange set of emotions course through my mind as I contemplate that question. I’ve always believed the Bible says what it means and means what it says. Even though much of my formal training focused on the study of complex philosophical issues, my faith has always remained rather simple. By simple I do not mean shallow. I mean uncomplicated by human speculation.

With simple faith as my foundation I am particularly intrigued with the idea and issue of biblical prophecy – especially Ezekiel and Daniel. Ezekiel wrote about 2600 years ago. I think most people in the United States would consider it almost ludicrous for anyone to believe that the writings of someone who lived a world away separated by over two millennia could have any meaning for our lives today. Yet, I and many others believe exactly that.

Yet, Ezekiel’s primary prophecy outlining an alliance between countries in the Middle East with names like Persia (Iran), Rosh (Russia?), and Libya against the nation of Israel do not seem quite so ludicrous today. These are a few of the nations named by the prophets (Ezekiel and others) who will establish an alliance to destroy Israel in the Last Days according to the Bible.

But what about the newspapers? What nations are rattling swords in the Middle East? Well, certainly we have Iran’s venomous rhetoric calling for the annihilation of Israel. That accounts for Persia. We have Libya discussing the purchase of $2 billion of weapons from Russia after Gaddafi’s visit with Russia last month. That accounts for Russia and Libya. We have Israel faced with the fact that the most pro-Israeli president in history is leaving office and a suspected Palestinian sympathizer is taking office in January of next year. What are we to make of the fact that the cast of characters on the evening news are the same ones mentioned in the prophecies of the Last Days in the Bible?

Is Armageddon imminent? Check your newspaper and your Bible. You decide . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home